- Take one to two puffs of your reliever inhaler (usually blue)
- Sit up and try to take slow steady breaths
- If you do not start to feel better continue to take two puffs of your reliever inhaler every two minutes, take up to ten puffs.
- If you do not feel better after taking your inhaler as above or you are worried at any time – contact 999
- If an ambulance does not arrive within 15 minutes repeat bullet point 3 while you wait
If your symptoms improve and you do not need to contact 999, you still need to see a doctor or asthma nurse within 24 hours.
These videos about asthma and living with it were made by Asthma UK.
For more information on asthma, visit asthma.org.uk